Politics Politics Politics
Summary: Justin Robert Young announces his intention to dissect the run for the White House. Just think, while you been getting down and out about the liars and the dirty dirty cheats of the world you could have been getting down to this sick beat.
- The RBG seat will likely be filled by the GOP and Biden isn't fighting it. Is keeping the focus on COVID a wise decision when the Dem base is so riled up? - A review of the Merrick Garland nomination from 2016 so we can count each act of hypocrisy. - Why Amy Coney Barrett is almost certainly going to make it on the court. - The TikTok deal explained by Tom Merritt.
- There are some crazy numbers out there. Biden's support with core Democratic voting blocs, Trump banning 100s of million of users from accessing TikTok and WeChat and Presidential Approval polls with a 29% range taken within a week. - Mailbag including questions about denying God, Palestine, The Washington Football Team and the rehabilitation of Andrew Gillum. - Cheddar's Congressional Correspondent JD Durkin joins the show to discuss why the COVID relief bill failed and why it is now unlikely to happen at all.
- The COVID death toll has surpassed the White House's initial window of expectations, how will that affect the election? - Trump worked hard to bring back Big 10 football. Will white working class voters in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio St., Minnesota and Wisconsin reward him? - Does the TikTok/Oracle deal pass the smell test with China Hawks? - Dr. Joshua Scacco discusses how digital communication from the White House has evolved from the first website to the information machine it is today.
- Remembering 9/11 and the road we've travelled 19 years later. - Mail Bag! Including questions about the economy, the electoral college and when the stock market might tank. - Interview with Dr. Annelle Sheline about the Israel/UAE deal, troop drawdowns and Trump's Nobel Prize nomination.
- Bob Woodward not only has a new book coming, he has tapes of President Trump discussing COVID in January. Are the quotes devastating? How is Trump trying to spin it? How can Biden attack? - New polls show Biden losing the latino vote OUTRIGHT in Florida. - A man bravely walked to the mic in Lincoln, Nebraska and demanded change. Change in how we describe boneless Buffalo wings when they neither wings nor would they ever have bones in them. The viral sensation himself, Ander Christensen, discusses the moment and the reaction. - Dave Levinthal (Business Insider) discusses the Biden cash surge, the Trump campaign cash burn and what we learned in the Kanye FEC report. - Raise the Dead Season 2 is coming in October. Hear the trailer at the end of the episode.
- A story about Donald Trump calling WWI veterans "losers" has ripped through the news cycle. Is it true? Maybe. But Justin has his Capital J Journalism hat on to rail against anonymous sources.- Jobs report is very good but the stock market tanks, is this good or bad news for Trump?- Mailbag including questions about political betting odds, black Trump support, Australian gun confiscation and if Justin is falling for the right wing framing of riots vs. protests.- Interview with Kelly Zvobgo about the concept of Truth Commissions and if we might see them in America on a local or national level.
- Joe Biden left Delaware. He will make not one but two speeches this week in states he doesn't live in. What spurred the frontrunner from his basement? What did he say while on the loose for the first time in the general election. - A new round of polls shows a tighter race in the battleground states. - The Kennedy Dynasty is... dead? Or at least irrelevant after a man named after the patriarch of the clan just lost a race in *gasp* Massachusetts. - Interview with Stuart Schrader about the influence the military has had on police equipment and crowd control tactics.
- An RNC like none before it has come to an end in grandiose fashion. How did it come off? How did they appeal to? Will it work? - Biden is leaving the basement! Allegedly! Find out where he is going and when he is planning on going there. - Kevin Ryan of The Blaze on the post-modern RNC and what it means for November.
- The rapid-fire RNC has dawned. Less Zoom, more speakers and reality show surprises. Will all the yelling and graphic abortion talk scare away the pleas to skittish establishments conservatives? - Is Donald Trump seriously trying to make a play for the black vote? A look back at the speakers during the RNC, the messages they are sending and more. - Economic thinking has broken loose and infected our political world, we interview Elizabeth Popp Berman (@epopppp) about how the world of dollars and cents is now the dominant way to think about public policy and more.
- Biden blew away low expectations and set a great narrative - Did Bill Clinton unearth an unbeatable attack line against Trump's COVID response? - Mailbag including questions about Biden, NeverTrump distrust for Kamala, Schools and the very rare "Trump is the worst and that's why we need to re-elect him" argument - Interview with Jo-Ellen Pozner about the optics, visual metaphors and fashion of the totally reimagined DNC
- Thoughts on the DNC so far. It's awkward. Boy, do they want to talk to Republicans more than Progressives. - AOC causes a commotion when her only appearance was to second the nomination of Bernie Sanders during the roll call. This was stupid for a few historical reasons. Also... a conspiracy theory on why it happened. - Alieza Durana (@aliezadurana @EvictionLab) discusses the broader issues around housing insecurity and how big of an eviction crisis we are facing post COVID.
Parents are making intensely hard decisions about where, when and how to send their kids back to school and if they aren't going back... what to do with them. Childless millennial Justin Robert Young is exceptionally unqualified to talk about any of this. Instead he has recruited a wide variety of experts to help discuss the issues around education in the age of COVID. - Co-hosting the entire episode is Tamar, the producer/booker for Px3 who not is not only wrestling with a 2-year-old and 6-year-old she is also the step-mother to a '20 high school graduate. - Discussing the options (or lack thereof) for parents is Jessica Calarco (@JessicaCalarco) an associate professor of sociology at Indiana University, and she studies inequalities in education and family life. - But what do you do when faced with those options? Providing the boots on the ground perspective is Erik and Carolyn Young (@YoungPodcast) of the Young Family Podcast. Not only do they have two kids to worry about they are also in touch with parents around the country and have the pulse of what decisions are being made and why. - Is anything going to change? Or will the changes the exist now fade away for lack of funding? Sarah Reber (Brookings Institution) and Nora Gordon (Georgetown) discuss the finance of crisis education and what we can and can't expect in congress' delayed COVID bill.
A cavalcade of guests help Justin break down the Kamala pick. - Gloria Young (Justin's mother, @globugyoung) is over the moon and will get a "Soul of the Nation" tattoo on her stomach like Tupac if she gets any more excited - Andrew Heaton (The Political Orphanage, @MightyHeaton) is pumped that it's not Elizabeth Warren but is also unsure of what Kamala stands for. - Jack Allison (Struggle Session, JackAM, @JackAllisonLOL) has lost all reason as a progressive to follow this election and has given in to cynical horserace coverage - Chad Prather (Chad Prather Show, @WatchChad) warns other Trump fans to not let their Kamala memes distract them from the issues - Michael Socolow (Media History Professor at University of Maine, @MichaelSocolow) believes this reaffirms Biden's glide path to the White House
- July jobs report is "meh" but will it be used as a weapon by Trump or Biden? - Veepstakes Eve Part II! Has anything changed? - Is Kanye running as a spoiler candidate? If so is it because he loves Trump or he hates the Obama administration? - Mailbag including questions about the economy, local judges and the origin of the term "cuck" that will blow you away. - Tom Merritt (@acedtect) discussing Trump's executive orders on TikTok and WeChat. Also, how our new Cold War with China will affect tech going forward.
- Justin has become obsessed with the YouTube accounts of both candidates. Find out what messages they are pushing and discover which of them is posting HUNDREDS of videos a month. - Cocaine Mitch caves on COVID stimulus, Veepstakes down to two, all DNC speakers will be virtual - Interview with Victoria Jackson (@HistoryRunner) about the tipping point of college athletics and why the entire season should be cancelled so the NCAA can save itself.