How did the Phoenix Bakery, one of the city's oldest buildings, end up at the Phoenix Zoo?




Valley 101 show

Summary: The Phoenix Bakery was a downtown staple in the city’s earliest days. German immigrant Ed Eisele Sr. started working there in 1881, purchasing the shop at West Washington Street and Center Street (now Central Avenue) three years later. As the city grew, the bakery grew, leaving its original location in 1929. But the red-brick building that housed the original operation is still around today. There’s just one catch: it now resides at the Phoenix Zoo, miles away from its original location.  How did it get there? In this week’s episode of Valley 101, a podcast from The Arizona Republic and azcentral.com, we’ll look at the history of the building, starting with the unlikely journey its owner took to immigrate to the U.S. and ending with its reconstruction at the Zoo.