Politics Politics Politics
Summary: Justin Robert Young announces his intention to dissect the run for the White House. Just think, while you been getting down and out about the liars and the dirty dirty cheats of the world you could have been getting down to this sick beat.
- Trump 2016 vs. Trump 2020 - Is this a landslide? - Myles McNutt on how we use television narratives to understand our political world.
- What to expect from Pence vs. Harris - North Carolina Senate race has a sex scandal with saucy text messages to prove it. - What do we know about Trump's health and how does it play into his desire to debate next week? - The Congressional Dish Podcast's Jennifer Briney joins us to break down the COVID relief debacle, Pelosi's missed opportunity and how COVID will affect the ACB confirmation.
- First thoughts on where we are and the possibilities going forward from the boring to the super, super dark. - Immediate feedback from the audience. - Brian Brushwood on what it was like to survive COVID-19 - Andrew Heaton on the debate, our modern political discourse as things get real and an awesome announcement.
- Debate One Megamix - How one veteran move by Biden turned the debate, the points made by Trump that could resonate by election day, is this what we want? - Trump tries to clear up Proud Boys comments, Commision on Presidential Debates to add more rules, COVID relief alive? - Jennifer Mercieca on the rhetorical battle waged and if Democracy is dying.
- Remember when Mitt Romney clobbered Obama? Incumbents have a history of sleepwalking into the first debate, here is how Biden can exploit it. - Keys for both men on what to lead in with and what to stay away from during the debate. - MEGA MAILBAG including the Breonna Taylor decision, confusion over a gay Trump supporter, young voters and a shocking projection on how the election will play out. - The history and strategy of the filibuster with Gregory Koger the author of Filibustering: a Political History of Obstruction in the House including how it plays into Trump's appointment of a new Supreme Court justice.
- The RBG seat will likely be filled by the GOP and Biden isn't fighting it. Is keeping the focus on COVID a wise decision when the Dem base is so riled up? - A review of the Merrick Garland nomination from 2016 so we can count each act of hypocrisy. - Why Amy Coney Barrett is almost certainly going to make it on the court. - The TikTok deal explained by Tom Merritt.
- There are some crazy numbers out there. Biden's support with core Democratic voting blocs, Trump banning 100s of million of users from accessing TikTok and WeChat and Presidential Approval polls with a 29% range taken within a week. - Mailbag including questions about denying God, Palestine, The Washington Football Team and the rehabilitation of Andrew Gillum. - Cheddar's Congressional Correspondent JD Durkin joins the show to discuss why the COVID relief bill failed and why it is now unlikely to happen at all.
- The COVID death toll has surpassed the White House's initial window of expectations, how will that affect the election? - Trump worked hard to bring back Big 10 football. Will white working class voters in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio St., Minnesota and Wisconsin reward him? - Does the TikTok/Oracle deal pass the smell test with China Hawks? - Dr. Joshua Scacco discusses how digital communication from the White House has evolved from the first website to the information machine it is today.
- Remembering 9/11 and the road we've travelled 19 years later. - Mail Bag! Including questions about the economy, the electoral college and when the stock market might tank. - Interview with Dr. Annelle Sheline about the Israel/UAE deal, troop drawdowns and Trump's Nobel Prize nomination.
- Bob Woodward not only has a new book coming, he has tapes of President Trump discussing COVID in January. Are the quotes devastating? How is Trump trying to spin it? How can Biden attack? - New polls show Biden losing the latino vote OUTRIGHT in Florida. - A man bravely walked to the mic in Lincoln, Nebraska and demanded change. Change in how we describe boneless Buffalo wings when they neither wings nor would they ever have bones in them. The viral sensation himself, Ander Christensen, discusses the moment and the reaction. - Dave Levinthal (Business Insider) discusses the Biden cash surge, the Trump campaign cash burn and what we learned in the Kanye FEC report. - Raise the Dead Season 2 is coming in October. Hear the trailer at the end of the episode.
- A story about Donald Trump calling WWI veterans "losers" has ripped through the news cycle. Is it true? Maybe. But Justin has his Capital J Journalism hat on to rail against anonymous sources.- Jobs report is very good but the stock market tanks, is this good or bad news for Trump?- Mailbag including questions about political betting odds, black Trump support, Australian gun confiscation and if Justin is falling for the right wing framing of riots vs. protests.- Interview with Kelly Zvobgo about the concept of Truth Commissions and if we might see them in America on a local or national level.
- Joe Biden left Delaware. He will make not one but two speeches this week in states he doesn't live in. What spurred the frontrunner from his basement? What did he say while on the loose for the first time in the general election. - A new round of polls shows a tighter race in the battleground states. - The Kennedy Dynasty is... dead? Or at least irrelevant after a man named after the patriarch of the clan just lost a race in *gasp* Massachusetts. - Interview with Stuart Schrader about the influence the military has had on police equipment and crowd control tactics.
- An RNC like none before it has come to an end in grandiose fashion. How did it come off? How did they appeal to? Will it work? - Biden is leaving the basement! Allegedly! Find out where he is going and when he is planning on going there. - Kevin Ryan of The Blaze on the post-modern RNC and what it means for November.
- The rapid-fire RNC has dawned. Less Zoom, more speakers and reality show surprises. Will all the yelling and graphic abortion talk scare away the pleas to skittish establishments conservatives? - Is Donald Trump seriously trying to make a play for the black vote? A look back at the speakers during the RNC, the messages they are sending and more. - Economic thinking has broken loose and infected our political world, we interview Elizabeth Popp Berman (@epopppp) about how the world of dollars and cents is now the dominant way to think about public policy and more.
- Biden blew away low expectations and set a great narrative - Did Bill Clinton unearth an unbeatable attack line against Trump's COVID response? - Mailbag including questions about Biden, NeverTrump distrust for Kamala, Schools and the very rare "Trump is the worst and that's why we need to re-elect him" argument - Interview with Jo-Ellen Pozner about the optics, visual metaphors and fashion of the totally reimagined DNC