Beth Kanter is a trainer, blogger, and consultant to nonprofits and individuals in effective use of social media. Beth discussed how social media can be used to help social causes. She describes how she does large experiments to find out what works.
She has raised over $200,000 to help Cambodian children. She won the America’s Giving Campaign which was based on number of donors and focused on how new web tools can drive the result. She has learned what works and what annoys donors.
Her example is to jump right into asking her network what the strategy should be using her blog.
Strategies for success:
- Make it personal – “It’s about why the messenger cares” She describes why she cares about Cambodian children
- Stories with Faces – This helps drive people up the ladder of engagement to scale. Story example: Why is this Cambodian Orphan wearing a creative commons t-shirt?
- Network Weaving – Use the three R’s relationships, rewards, reciprocity
- Fun, Humor, Easy, Urgency, Competitive Spirit, Passion. Beth describes how she used Facebook to tell people what she wants for her birthday 51st Birthday Challenge donations, use Youtube with Kids video, Twitter challenge, Facebook challenge that she had tagged as evanglists, Twitter rallies
- Make it competitive
- Say Thank You in creative ways
- Include Paypal as payment mechanism
UPDATE: Slides from presentation
[tags]gspwest08, graphing social, social causes, Beth Kanter[/tags]
Tags: Beth Kanter, Graphing Social, gspwest08, social causes